MINUTES OF COMMITTEE MEETING

RAIL TRANSIT VEHICLE INTERFACE STANDARDS COMMITTEE

October 8-9, 1997

Washington DC (Georgetown)

(NOTE: ATTACHMENTS ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THIS WEBSITE VERSION OF THE MINUTES)

 

1. Attendance (See Attachment 1)

Note that a current list of members with addresses is provided as Attachment 2. Members should contact Tom McGean (FAX 703 280 0748 or email TJMPE@AOL.COM) with any corrections to this list.

Note: Action Items assigned to committee members are shown in bold italics.

2. Agenda (See Attachment 3)

3. Housekeeping

Minutes. Minutes of the Chicago meeting (June 25-26, 1997)were approved by the committee as read.

Next Meeting. It was agreed that the next meeting will be held February 4-5th, 1998 in Irvine California at the TRB Beckman Center. The agenda will include line by line review of the WG1 Communications Protocol Standard, resolution of ballot comments from the WG7 Passenger Information Standard, and additional review of the WG5 Propulsion/Braking/Control Standard as well as reports from all working groups.

Internet. Our IEEE website is: http://stdsbbs.ieee.org/groups/railtransit/index.html

In addition Tom Sullivan is maintaining our "non-IEEE" website at: http://www.tsd.org

Tom's site is linked to the IEEE site. At the present time, all public information is on Tom's site. Draft standards are being moved to the IEEE site in a private area, which is necessary because of copyright concerns. The user name and password for the ieee protected site are available to members by contacting TJMPE@AOL.COM.

We also have an IEEE email mailing list: stds-railtransit@ieee.org

The current list of persons signed onto the list is provided as Attachment 4. As of now 31 of our 50 committee members have signed up along with a large number of our "friends". If you are not yet on the list, please sign on using the simple instructions provided in Attachment 4. This will enable us to send you information by email.

New Federal Law: This summer the Volunteer Protection Act of 1997 was passed which extends significant legal protections to persons doing volunteer work such as serving on an IEEE Standards Committee. Information is provided in Attachment 5.

4. Coordination

ASME Developments. Stan Canjea has submitted a proposal to the ASME to form an ASME Rail Transit Vehicle Standard Committee. Its first mission will be development of a standard for structural and crashworthiness requirements of light rail transit vehicles. In September the ASME Board on Safety Codes and Standards met and voted that there may be a need for the new standards and set up a task force to work with Stan to prepare a broad charter and scope and review the membership to ensure it is balanced per ASME procedures. Those interested in participating in the buff load project should contact Stan (201 491 8859 FAX 201 491-8849).

TCIP Program. Lou Sanders reported that draft Transportation Communications Interface Specifications have been filed with the Institute of Transportation Engineers and are available for public comment. Comments are due by November 14, 1997. This open data interface document is to serve as the foundation for data exchange among and between transit agencies. You can download the 500+ page draft document from the TCIP website, www.tcip.org or obtain hard copy for $35 by calling the ITE directly at 202 554-8050. Comments on the draft should be emailed to tcip@camsys.com Jim Kemp is the official RTVISC liaison with the TCIP Standards project. Possible interfaces with our work exist with regard to passenger information and health monitoring areas, among others.

AAR Coordination. Howard Moody reported that the new standard for the Electronically Controlled Pneumatic Brake (ECP) is out. The AAR is also seriously looking at wireless car to car communication using spread spectrum RF.

PRESS Developments. Tom Peacock reported on PRESS activities. PRESS is actively preparing 60-70 draft standards in the areas of mechanical, electrical, construction and systems for commuter rail. Their policy is that safety critical areas will be mandatory standards and non safety critical will be recommended practices. Their ballot process is less formal than IEEE's. Tom reported that PRESS had studied numerous standards formats and decided IEEE's was the best. Thus they are seeking IEEE permission to use the IEEE style and format as the basis for the PRESS standards. In the process of preparing standards, three areas requiring R&D were identified. These were, window glazing, car crashworthiness, and risk assessment tradeoffs for signaling vs. car crashworthiness. Work in these three areas has been funded by the FRA. All other PRESS funding comes from direct assessments levied by APTA on the commuter rail agencies. Tom stressed the need for cooperation between the IEEE and PRESS standards efforts. IEEE members wishing any PRESS standards should call Tom Peacock at 202 898-4105.

Dave Phelps indicated that PRESS was resurrecting the defunct IEEE16 standard which covers design/quality standards for electrical control/wiring practices. He asked the meeting whether we would be interested in taking over the resurrected IEEE16 and maintaining it as an IEEE standard. The members indicated their support and Jim Dietz offered to head such a working group. Dave Phelps agreed to pursue the issue within PRESS and advise us if PRESS would like us to get involved.

5. Working Group Reports (To facilitate follow up by working group leaders activities have been organized by working group even though the agenda did not follow this approach at the actual meeting).

WG1 (P1473) Communications Protocols on Trains, Bob Anderson Chair.

Report given by Don Kane) The WG1 approach using Echelon and TCN is continuing. The next meeting of the group will be at the NYCT offices at Jay Street in Brooklyn on November 6, 1997. A line by line review of the P1473 draft is scheduled for the Irvine meeting of the full committee, February 4-5, 1998.

WG2 (P1474) Communications Based Train Control, Alan Rumsey, Chair. (Report given by Tom McGean and Alan Rumsey)

Tom McGean summarized developments since the last RTVISC meeting. Activities centered on improving communications with transit agencies and obtaining supplier interface information. Ron Kangas and Venkat Pindiprolu of FTA helped involve more transit agencies in the WG2 effort. Three meetings of transit agencies were held with 10 transit agencies involved. The full WG2 met in Washington on June 13th. At that time all of the suppliers attending agreed to provide the needed interface data and it was decided to hold a three day task force meeting of the suppliers, NYCT and FTA to see if consensus could be reached on the Train/Wayside ATP interface. At the task force meeting, complete interface data was provided by eight suppliers and a "best fit" hypothetical interface was defined. However, the task force was not able to reach a consensus on interface standards and recommended putting that activity on hold. The Task Force further recommended developing functional and performance CBTC standards, provided there was support for this activity from the transit agencies. The functional/performance standards would require a new or revised PAR. McGean announced that Alan Rumsey, had agreed to head this new PAR effort if it is pursued, and asked Alan to report on the transit agency peer group meeting on September 29-30. Alan reported that at this meeting the peer group unanimously supported the functional/performance standard effort. Following a discussion, Ron Kangas made the following motion:

1) The interoperability standards effort by WG2 shall be put on hold indefinitely. The WG2 chair shall revisit this decision at every RTVISC full committee meeting as part of his report.

2) WG2 is redirected in the meantime to develop CBTC functional and performance standards with a goal of having a standard ready for ballot within 18 months (Feb 8, 1999).

The motion was seconded by Bill Petit and carried without dissent. Dave Rutherford and Tom Sullivan did not wish to chair this new activity and Alan Rumsey was appointed by the chair to lead the working group. Alan announced that the next meeting of the WG2 would be at the LIRR on November 5th 1997.

Briefing charts used by McGean and Rumsey are provided as Attachment 5.

WG3 (P1482) Rail Vehicle Monitoring and Diagnostic Systems, Linda Sue Boehmer, Chair.

The WG3 draft is now on the web at www.tsd.org. The group expects to be ready for line by line review of their draft by the full committee at its second 1998 meeting. Attachment 6 provides backup information.

WG4 (P1483) Safety Standards for Software Systems, Jim Hoelscher, Chair.

The next meeting will be in Pittsburg at Adtranz on October 23, 1997. WG4 has developed its own balloting group which is provided in Attachment 7 as part of the WG4 progress report. They have completed line by line review of the standard through Section 5.4.1.The draft standard is available for review on http://www.tsd.org

WG5 (P1475) VOBC/Propulsion Controller/Motor/Brake, Dave Phelps, Chair.

Line by line review of the WG5 standard (IEEE P1475) was conducted at the meeting. Annotated text with directions from the committee is provided as Attachment 8. In addition, the following instructions are noted:

1) Rationalize all definitions with the TRB Transportation Glossary. Also check with the definitions in the APM Standard. (These are provided as Attachment 9).

2) Put all brake definitions together and clarify the definitions of emergency braking.

3) Change simple, medium and complex to Type I, II and III and provide some guidance on how the standard is used for a car that is in between two of these types.

4) Consider providing examples of Type I, II and III cars in an annex.

5) Provide a rationale to the full committee for the decision to mandate the PWM modulated option in 5.4.1.2.4.

WG 5 will meet in suburban Washinton DC at ICF Kaiser on October 15th and 16th to go over the results from the full committee line by line review. They will also initiate coordination activities required by their PAR. A Draft 3.0 will be prepared. It will be distributed and posted on the web for comment. WG5 will then meet in January and based on the comments prepare another revised version, which will again be distributed and posted. At the February 4-5, 1998 meeting in Irvine, time will be provided on the agenda for final discussion of any open issues or comments. At that time the decision will be made concerning releasing the standard for ballot.

WG6 (P1476) Auxiliary Power Systems, Claude Gabriel, Chair.

The Working Group met October 7th and had a productive session. They have completed line by line review of about 60% of the standard. A new responsibility matrix has been added to define whether supplier, subcontractor or user is responsible for various interface information. The next draft is due by the end of the month. WG6 expects to be ready for line by line review by the full committee the second meeting of 1998.

Claude reported he has not gotten any feedback from his memo on proposed voltage limits. He needs your review. This memo is provided as Attachment 10. Please review and comment directly to Claude. He would also like information on voltage limits of commercially available components. Anyone with this information is asked to provide it.

WG7 (P1477) Vehicle Passenger Information Standards, Lance Cooper, Chair. (Report given by Gene Sansone)

The changes requested by the full committee in Chicago have been made and the latest draft was sent to Lisa Young, IEEE technical editor for final changes. The edited version has been sent to the IEEE balloting group. Chair McGean reported that he had been advised by the IEEE that the ballots have been mailed out to all members of the committee. Thus, less than 18 months since the committee was formed in May, 1996, the first draft standard has gone to ballot. The committee congratulated Lance Cooper for his outstanding effort in bringing this standard to ballot. The WG report is provided as Attachment 11.

Based on discussions with IEEE, Lance Cooper and Chair McGean had agreed that message content would not be made part of the standard at this time. Jim Kemp and Yehuda Gross agreed to work with Lance Cooper to help with getting message content information from manufacturers, especially on the bus side in the event a future standard covering this area is desired.

WG8 (P1478) Environmental Standards for Rail Transit Equipment, Chuck Elms, Chair. (Report Given by Paul Trahey)

A draft standard has been prepared and is being reviewed by the group. Paul was asked when it would be ready to put on the web for the members as a whole to review and he estimated in about a month or so.

6. Other Business

Definitions. The Chair clarified the definition policy for our standards. It is committee policy to use TRB Glossary definitions if the IEEE Dictionary does not have a requireed transit term. However, TRB Glossary definitions are not consensus standards. Thus, the TRB definition should be provided in the definitions section of the standard so it can be balloted and adopted. A further policy will be that once a definition is balloted and accepted for any standard sponsored by this committee, it will be binding for all standards sponsored by the committee, unless it can be shown to be clearly inapplicable. Working group chairs should thus be careful when reviewing standards prepared by other working groups, to be sure the other group's definitions are suitable for their standard also.

Battery Standard. Gene Sansone suggested the possibility of the committee sponsoring a battery standard. PRESS is looking at batteries using AAR standards. A consortium of New York area transit agencies is also looking into joint buys. The committee voted to ask Gene Sansone to pursue discussions with other agencies about whether they would like to IEEE to get involved in such a standard. Gene will report back at the next meeting.

Grandfather Clause. It was suggested all working groups may want to consider a grandfather clause to exempt preexisting equipment and facilities from their standards. Attachment 12 from the Automated People Mover Standard provides suggested text. However, it should be noted this does not cover the case where new vehicles must operate with an existing fleet. Words to grandfather this situation are also needed.

7. Special Thanks

Special thanks are due to Chris Jenks for his help and to the Transportation Research Board for providing the meeting facilities, refreshments, meals and audio visual equipment for the meeting. In particular thanks are due especially to Shiela Moore of the TRB for handling all of the arrangements.

8. Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 3PM on October 9, 1997.